Staying abroad


A child who lives abroad for over three months he is entitled to continue receiving payment for the first three months of his stay abroad. As of the fourth month of his stay abroad, he is not entitled to continue receiving the allowance unless he or his parents meet one of the following conditions:


  • One of the parents was sent abroad by an Israeli employer and insurance contributions and income tax are duly deducted from his salary.
  • One of the parents is on a sabbatial, or studying abroad on behalf of an Israeli employer. 
  • One of the parents or one of the children is receiving medical treatment abroad which cannot be obtained in Israel, subject to authorization by a National Insurance Institute doctor.
  • One of the parents is an Israeli local worker.
If you meet one of the above conditions, please send the relevant authorizations to your local NII branch.

For your convenience, here is an explanation sheet for emissaries and other Israelis working abroad.

If the children are residing in a convention country , their entitlement to child allowance will be examined, subject to the conditions appearing in the convention between Israel and the country in which they reside.

Immediately upon your return after living abroad for more than 3 months, or after the end of your mission or sabbatical, please contact your local NII branch in order to check your entitlement to the child allowance.