How status of the insured is determined

The information taken into account for the purposes of determining a person's insurance status is as follows:

      • Is the insured an Israeli resident, or not?
      • A salaried worker who is an Israeli resident can be covered with all types of insurance. By contrast, a salaried worker who is not an Israeli resident is covered with only 3 types of insurance – work accident, bankruptcy and maternity.
      • Is the insured 18 years old or older? A salaried or self-employed worker who is 18 years old or older may be covered in all forms of insurance. By contrast, a salaried or self-employed worker who is not yet 18 is covered for work accidents only.
      • At what age did the person become an Israeli resident for the first time (for a person who was not born in Israel) – did the person immigrate to Israel before the age stipulated by law? If so, then he is insured (for the purposes of an old-age pension). By contrast, a person who immigrated after the age stipulated by law is not insured for the purposes of an old-age pension, (but may be eligible for a special old-age benefit).
        Date of birthAge at time of immigration – which grants eligibility for old-age pension  
        From DateTo Date
        -6/1944Before 60
        7/19448/1944Before 60 and 4 months
        9/19444/1945Before 6 and 8 months
        5/194512/1945Before 61
        1/19468/1946Before 61 and 4 months
        9/19464/1947Before 61 and 8 months
        5/1947- Before 62

      • Gender of the insured – The gender of the insured influences eligibility for various benefits; for example, only a woman is eligible for the risk pregnancy benefit.
      • The family status of the insured – as registered by the Interior Ministry (single/married/divorced/widow/Agunah); for example, the status of a woman recognized by the National Insurance Institute as a common-law partner is the same as that of a married woman. She will therefore not be charged insurance contributions if she works only within her home (not as a salaried or self-employed worker) and if her partner is insured.