The National Insurance Institute is at your side during your life, from birth to advanced age, granting you a variety of social rights adapted to changing life situations.
The National Insurance Institute is responsible for the social security of Israeli residents.
Its primary mission is to ensure means of subsistence for those unable to earn their living.
The National Insurance Institute collects insurance contributions from all residents according to their social background and status, and pays benefits to those entitled. Hence, the income of economically established groups is transferred to weak and vulnerable groups and, thereby, the National Insurance Institute contributes to a more equitable distribution of national income and the reduction of dimensions of poverty. Further information...
The medical board determines the percentage of your disability according to a list of medical examinations for the determination of disability degrees, specified in the National Insurance regulations. The list contains a defined percentage of disability for every medical impairment.
For example: For a person whose leg was amputated at the hip, the doctor will establish a degree of medical disability of 80%, according to section 47 (6) (a) of the List of Examinations.
The above list of medical examinations appears on the website in the "Rules and Regulations Section", in the List of Examinations.
If the examinee suffers from several impairments and the doctor determined separate percentages for each impairment, the overall percentage of disability will be determined by a weighted calculation of medical disability percentages (and not by adding the percentages).
For example: If the doctor established a medical disability for two impairments as follows:
the calculation will then be made as follows: 20% for the back impairment (20% disability of the back, calculated out of 100%)
8% for the leg impairment (10% disability of the leg out of 80% - which is the remaining percentage after reduction of the 20% disability out of a possible 100%)
= 28% total disability
The list of examinations includes medical impairments which, in the regulations, are not listed as affecting the capacity to work and to earn, in other words, the doctor determined that the impairments exist, but they will not be taken into consideration in establishing the general percentage of disability.
For example: If a person has undergone the amputation of two ribs on one side and, under Impairment Section 38 (1) (b) (4), the doctor determined a 10% medical disability for him, this percentage will not be taken into account in determining the overall percentage of disability ("screened" impairment).