Payment recipient

Pension for a widow/widower

Widows and widowers entitled to a survivor's pension receive their pension together with an increment for their children who are living with them.

If the children are not living with their parent entitled to the pension, the benefit for a child will be paid to whoever pays for his maintenance, such as the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services which covers maintenance expenses for children living in dorms or a foster family.

Under certain conditions, an orphan aged 18 or more can himself receive the increment paid for him with his parent's survivors' pension.

For a member of a kibbutz or a cooperative settlement (moshav) – The pension can be paid, upon his request, to the account of the kibbutz or the settlement.

For a person residing in an institution whose maintenance is mostly paid for by a public body – The pension can be divided, upon request of the public body, between the person and the public body.

Pension for an orphan

An orphan is entitled to a survivors' pension in his own right if his parent does not receive such a pension; for example, the parent is divorced, or the parent decided to receive a general disability pension or work disability pension instead of the survivors' pension to which he is entitled.

The pension for the orphan is paid to:

  • His parent, if he is living with this parent;
  • His legal guardian, if his parent is not in Israel or has been deemed incompetent;
  • The person or body who pays for his expenses, if he is not living with his parents – on condition that this person or body is in Israel.

An orphan who has reached the age of 18 may in some cases receive the pension directly to his own bank account.

Payment date

The survivors’ pension is paid on the 28th of each month for that same month. After approval of the claim, the recipient receives notification about the first payment due to him.

If a recipient of an old-age pension or a disability pension dies, the survivors’ pension is paid from the 1st of the month after the month in which he died.

After the death of a person who was not receiving an old-age pension or a disability pension, the survivors’ pension is paid as follows:

  • If the survivors are entitled to an income supplement, the pension is paid from the 1st of the month in which the death occurred.
  • If the survivors are not entitled to an income supplement, the pension is paid from the 1st of the month in which the death occurred if it occurred before the 16th of the month, and from the 1st of the month after the month in which the death occurred if it occurred after the 15th of the month.

Payment destination 

The pension is paid into the recipient's bank account provided that the account is in his  name only, or in his name and that of his parent, son or daughter, brother or sister.

In locations in which there are no bank branches or in exceptional cases (such as a person with a restricted bank account), the pension is paid, as per a decision by the claims official, through post offices, including mobile post. In such a case, the recipient must notify the National Insurance Institute of the post office at which it is most convenient for him to receive the pension. He must withdraw the pension no later than the 19th of the month after the month of payment. If the pension is not withdrawn by that date, it will be added to one of the next payments. If the recipient does not withdraw the pension for 3 consecutive months, payment will be stopped until the matter is clarified.

Please note,

The National Insurance Institute pays the pension by check, on-line mail or loaded-card only to those who are unable to open a bank account due to debts.

If you cannot collect the pension
If, in the opinion of the National Insurance Institute, you are unable to collect your pension due to medical limitations, the pension is paid to the person appointed by the National Insurance Institute to receive it (you will be notified to that effect in advance).

Change in the place of payment
You can request the National Insurance Institute to change the place of payment of your pension at any time by submitting the form Notification of Revised Personal Information, on which you can note the details of the bank account and the other account holders. The form can be submitted at the National Insurance Institute branch near your place of residence.